One of the UK’s oldest universities turned to Insight for help with improving its digital infrastructure and technology environment.
The university wanted to ensure that its network was able to cope with the increase in data resulting from its digital education strategy.
Insight delivered a solution that met the university’s requirements, while also helping to reduce energy consumption and give the university data-led insights into how students were using its facilities.
Even before the pandemic, the university placed technology at the heart of its strategy for learning.
The university’s innovative learning spaces include a cyberspace campus, a virtual hospital and a library equipped with a broad range of online resources including open-access PCs, databases, e-books and e-journals.
The university wanted to improve its digital resources and expand its distance learning capabilities. The existing infrastructure was not capable of supporting its ambitious plans.
To keep up with the growth of data traffic, manage the increase in connected devices and protect its community from cyber-attacks, the university needed to upgrade its network.
“We were looking to future-proof our network and the Insight team delivered everything we asked for and more – including a WiFi analytics system that gives valuable insight into how students are using the campus.”
The university was looking for an experienced partner to help with its network upgrade. Insight was awarded the contract to design, source and install the solution.
The solution had to meet the precise requirements of the university, as technology has a profound impact on education quality, student satisfaction, research and recruitment.
Insight reviewed the university’s existing infrastructure over a 12-month period and held comprehensive sessions with the in-house IT team regarding its future plans.
The Insight team then designed an innovative wired, wireless and router solution using leading-edge Cisco technologies and recommended scalable devices with built-in energy efficiency.
To ensure business continuity and maximum network uptime, Insight included complimentary support and network monitoring services.
The team also linked the university’s Wi-Fi analytics to its building control system, giving accurate information on traffic around the campus.
- The new network has helped to improve productivity and collaboration amongst students and instructors at the university.
- Students and faculties can work from anywhere on campus by connecting to vital online resources from any Wi-Fi device.
- The university can make better informed decisions on the use of facilities thanks to improved insight into building use.
- The campus is saving on energy bills and reducing the university’s environmental impact by using energy-efficient technologies.
- The IT team now has more time to focus on its strategic tasks, safe in the knowledge that the university’s IT estate is being proactively monitored by Insight’s support and network monitoring services.
The Results Highlights