Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010
SharePoint Server 2010 is a server product that relies on SharePoint Foundation technology to provide a consistent, familiar framework for lists and libraries, site administration, and site customisation.
SharePoint Foundation 2010 is the underlying technology for SharePoint sites that is available for free. SharePoint Server includes all the features of SharePoint Foundation plus additional features and capabilities.
- SharePoint Server includes site templates for collaborating with colleagues on team sites, blogs, and Meeting Workspaces.
- SharePoint Server work effectively with other programs, servers, and technologies, including those in the Microsoft Office system.
- SharePoint Server also includes enhanced social computing features such as tagging and news feeds that help people in your organisation to discover, organise, navigate, and share information with colleagues.
Deliver the Best Productivity Experience
SharePoint 2010 helps your people be more productive. It offers a familiar Microsoft Office experience so that people can quickly and easily access the business information they need to get their jobs done.
Cut Costs with a Unified Infrastructure
SharePoint 2010 helps you reduce costs by consolidating intranet, extranet, and Internet sites on a single platform—on-premises or in the cloud.
Rapidly Respond to Business Needs
SharePoint 2010 gives you the best of both worlds: out-of-the-box applications and a platform for customised solutions. You can use the features of SharePoint 2010 just as they are or quickly create secure and easy-to-use solutions for specific business needs.
Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 includes several key enhancements and additions.
New user interface
Use the new ribbon to perform tasks quickly and in the context of your work. The ribbon, helps you get your work done faster by placing commands on task-based tabs that are easy to navigate.
Like the ribbon in the Office programs e.g. Office Word or Office PowerPoint, the new ribbon in SharePoint Server 2010 is designed to help you quickly find the commands that you need to complete your tasks. Commands are organised in logical groups, displayed together under tabs. Each tab relates to a type of activity, such as working with a document in a document library or adding and formatting text on a page.
The ribbon in SharePoint Server 2010 helps you to:
- Access the commands and tools you need all in one place.
- Perform actions on pages, documents and lists using only the commands you need
Finding and working with features such as SharePoint sites, lists, wikis, blogs, and permissions is now easier and more streamlined. Work across multiple Internet browsers
- Use the new co-authoring feature to work simultaneously with colleagues on Word documents or PowerPoint slide presentations
- Schedule meetings and keep track of your schedule more easily with improved calendars
- Use the new Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010 to work with SharePoint sites, libraries, and lists offline and synchronise your changes when you reconnect to your corporate network
- Share information with others more efficiently with improved wiki and team sites
- Manage multiple items in your SharePoint lists more efficiently
- Create and manage your blogs more easily with improved authoring tools and new navigation
- View and work with SharePoint information from your mobile device
New social networking features help you more easily locate the people and information you are most interested in.
With the new features in SharePoint Server 2010 you can locate content and stay informed about people and areas of interest that matter most to you.
Find and help others find interesting information
New features include newsfeeds, social tagging, and ratings so that you can more easily keep track of your colleagues' activities, as well as share relevant content.
Use My Sites to promote interaction through expertise sharing
- Improvements to My Sites help you use your My Sites and profiles to share knowledge in your specialty area with your colleagues.
- Adding interests and responsibilities to profiles makes it easier for colleagues to find each other through newsfeeds, ask and answer questions, and to connect in other ways.
- You can use activity feeds on My Sites to follow your colleagues' activities, stay informed of developments in areas you are interested in, and connect with others who are looking for help in areas you are interested in.
- You can also receive recommendations for new colleagues or keywords to follow, so that you can expand your professional network and knowledge.
Enterprise content management for documents, records, digital assets and Web content
With new enterprise content management features, improvements to Search, and improved collaboration tools, you can work in Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 more efficiently and intuitively.
The new enterprise content management features in SharePoint Server 2010 enable you to manage documents, records, digital assets, and published Web pages more efficiently.
- With the new Managed Metadata features, you can manage taxonomies and metadata across your SharePoint sites
- Manage a single deliverable or work product that includes multiple documents with Document Sets
- Use the improved Document Centre site template to more easily manage your documents in one location
- New flexible policy and records management features allow you to choose whether to manage records in place or in a central repository
- Improved Web Content Management features make it easier to create and manage your site
New Search features in SharePoint Server 2010 make it easier for you to locate more relevant information and find colleagues quickly and efficiently. Improvements include a new results layout that refines information into categories, and includes better descriptions and metadata. In addition, people who are in your social circle will appear toward the top of your search results.
- Get better answers, faster with new features include ways to find information and people, and ways to navigate search results
- Search is a "social" experience by finding someone who has the skills that match your needs.
Site management and customisation
Several new features related to permissions management, site design and an international user interface optimise how you can use, design and access SharePoint sites and content.
- View and adjust permission levels, including item-level permissions, for a particular user or group using the new permissions management tool
- Change colours and fonts for a site using newly supported theme files
- Make your site internationally accessible by changing the language of your site
SharePoint Server offers more robust business intelligence capabilities through enhanced functionality in Excel Services, PerformancePoint Services, and Business Connectivity Services (BCS), a SharePoint-based framework that provides standardised interfaces to existing business data and processes
- Work with enhanced Business Intelligence (BI) capabilities using Excel Services
- Add rich charts to your SharePoint sites by using the new Chart Web Part
- Monitor and analyse business performance using PerformancePoint Services
- Manage and secure your PerformancePoint content with better SharePoint Integration
- Access more detailed business information with improved scorecards
- Create analytic reports to better understand underlying business forces behind the results
Business Connectivity Services (BCS)
Business Connectivity Services (BCS) enables SharePoint integration with external data, including line of business applications. BCS builds on top of the Business Data Catalogue (BDC) technology delivered in Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007.
- More easily define external content types
- Connect to a wider range of data sources
- Use rich client extensions to build a SharePoint application and extend it to Office client applications such as SharePoint Workspace, Outlook and Word, so you can work with your external data offline.
- View external back-end business data across server and client applications with no customisation, including seamless business data integration with SharePoint lists.
SharePoint customisation using InfoPath and SharePoint Designer
Stronger integration between InfoPath, Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 and SharePoint Server 2010 enable you to more easily customise SharePoint lists, views, and workflows.
- Customise SharePoint's list forms - You can change the look of the form, switch to multi-column layouts, break the form into sections, validate the information entered, pre-populate fields, and cause sections of the form to show and hide automatically.
- Customise SharePoint's list views - All standard views of list items in SharePoint Server 2010 now use the customisable XSLT list view Web Part, making list view customisation in SharePoint faster and easier
- Customise SharePoint workflows - SharePoint Designer 2010 can now be used to fully customise the "big three" workflows in SharePoint—the Approval, Collect Feedback, and Collect Signature workflows